2010 Holiday Gift Guide
1. Extra Close Shave Kit - Philosophy – $28
Ahh yes. First he shaves and then there’s The Afterglow. This set is guaranteed to make shaving fun again.
2. UGG Ascot Slippers – Zappos – $100
Ladies love the UGGs for sure, but isn’t it time to share with the guys?
3. Luxe Tweed Button & Zip Mockneck Sweater – Banana Republic – $98.50
Perhaps he won’t appreciate the words “merino, cashmere, and angora,” but you sure will!
4. Dakota Leather Card Holder – Sundance – $48
A handmade Italian leather cardholder helps him keep track of business cards, credit cards, etc.
5. Say Yes to Michigan Tee - Homage – $28
What? You’re not all from Michigan? Sorry! You can still say yes!
6. Leg Lamp Tee – Busted Tees – $16
The staple from A Christmas Story is immortalized in T-shirt form.
1. Ticket Stub Diary – Amazon – $10.17
Admittedly you will probably be the one filling in this diary for him, but he’ll appreciate it for sure.
2. The Pacific – Amazon – $42.99
If there’s anything that HBO does well it’s creating miniseries about war. And if there’s one thing men love it’s miniseries about war.
3. Manhood for Amateurs by Michael Chabon – Amazon – $10.19
Pulitzer-price winning novelist Michael Chabon honestly chats about growing up in the ’70′s and about raising his own four children.
4. Simpsons World The Ultimate Episode Guide: Seasons 1-20 – Amazon – $83.99
I’ve never met a guy that doesn’t enjoy The Simpsons, and this set is for all of the fan boys out there. At least two pages is devoted to each and every episode ever created over the shows 20 run history!
5. Sterling’s Gold: Wit and Wisdom of an Ad Man – Amazon – $11.49
Wit and wisdom from the original mad man himself, Roger Sterling.
6. Bose® QuietComfort® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® Headphones – Amazon – $299.95
There are a lot of noise cancelling headphones out there, but these from Bose are the gold standard. Nay, make that platinum standard.
1. Reversible Bow Tie – Brooks Brothers – $59.50
This Brooks Brothers bow tie is just plain fun.
2. NFL Team Logo Toaster – HSN – $32.95
Some people may ask why you’d want to imprint your toast with the logo of your favorite sports team, but I ask “why not?”
3. Hotties: Spicy Sriracha-Habanero Crinkle-Cut Pickle Chips – Rick’s Picks – $7.99
I wouldn’t touch these with a ten foot pole, but I’ve never met a guy that didn’t like his food spicy hot and these pickles certainly fit the bill!
4. Deluxe Beer Starter Kit – Northern Brewer – $159.99
It’s a bit of an investment, but with this kit he’ll be making his own beer in no time!
5. Leather Beer Holster – Red Envelope – $34.95
He’ll never again wonder where he set his beer.
1. Monkey Hat – Sundance – $32
Seriously, what’s cuter than walking around with a sock monkey on your head?
2. Mr. Food Face Plate – Uncommon Goods – $12
We all know kids are going to play with their food. This plate will just help the good times along.
3. Perplexus – Amazon – $19.99
I dare you to not get perplexed while playing Perplexus.
4. Black Cat Headphones – Uncommon Goods – $38
If you don’t want to dress your child as a sock monkey, then can I interest you in dressing them as a cat?
5. Loopz – Amazon – $28.92
Trick your kids into activity with Loopz, which combines movement with light and music to create a fast-paced game.
6. Backpack in Baroque – Vera Bradley – $88
I don’t know about you but I would have been more enthusiastic about school if I could have carried my books in a bag this stylish.
1. Pink Glitter Toms – Toms – $34
Move over ruby red slippers, there’s a new sheriff in town.
2.Skip Hop Treetop Friends Hug and Hide Owl Activity Toy – Amazon – $18
This is no ordinary stuffed animal. This toy comes packed with 10 developmental activities in a nice owl wrapper.
3. The Story of Ferdinand – Amazon – $9.99
When all else fails you can never go wrong with a classic story, and this one about the peaceful bull Ferdinand is fantastic.
4. Fisher-Price The Sing-A-Ma-Jigs – Amazon – $14.99
If you haven’t seen these toys yet, you are missing out. They’re fantastic! There are many different Sing-a-Ma-Jigs, and when you have more than one they talk amongst themselves and can harmonize on their songs. In short – buy more than 1!
5. UGG Kids Cardy II – Zappos – $120
UGGs for the whole family! These red ones with the colorful buttons are just too dang cute for words.
1.Paris Ring – JoCoCo – $120
This beautiful ring features 30 silver and light gold pearls in various sizes atop a sterling silver ring. This is definitely an eye-catcher!
2. Black Embellished Sweater – Alight – $36
This embellished sweater from plus-sized retailer Alight will keep you warm and sparkly – two things that are of the utmost importance this holiday season.
3. Betty Snake Clutch – LaLucca – $300
This cluch is 100% beautiful and 100% fun. Silver and sparkly are how I’d describe the outside. Pretty pretty hot pink is how I’d best describe the inside.
4. NARS Midsummers Dream Gift Set – Sephora – $47
The second Summer ends we all start dreaming of it again. This kit will help keep her make-up looking like she’s living in a constant state of July.
5. Make a Day of It Idiom Bangle – Kate Spade – $98
Every girl deserves some Kate, and this bangle can easily be dressed up or down.
6. Christian Lacroix Notecards – Carolina Pad – $15
I was stunned when I learned that Christian Lacroix made a line of paper products exclusively for Carolina Pad. These would be a treat for all fashionistas!
1. Bow and Locket Necklace – Erica Weiner – $40
Lockets are pretty enough on their own, but add a bow and you have locket perfection.
2. The Orchid Stud Earrings – Olia – $121
Finding flower-shaped earrings isn’t uncommon, but I don’t think I’ve seen orchid-shaped studs before. There’s a lot of fine detail put into these beauties.
3. FLE101-BT Earrings – Kevia – $163
These are quite possibly the perfect pair of earrings. The blue topaz is in a 22k gold vermeil leaf setting. These earrings are the epitome of dainty and beautiful.
4. Gold Bangles – Mapel – $35
For some reason I really get into gold jewelry around the holidays. While these 16 Gold Bangles would certainly be fab to wear over the next few weeks, they’ll also work year-round and add the perfect amount of bling to any outfit.
5. Be… Card Holder – Pergolina – $52
Small inspirational items always make my day. This “Be…” card holder comes with 52 different words that you can switch out whenever you need some particular inspiration. For instance, today you can “Be Fun” and tomorrow you can “Be Gracious.”
6. Garland Key Pendant – Ellen Himic – $95
There’s no shortage of key pendants out there, but how many can say they are inspired by decorative details usually found on pilasters and panels in classical Roman architecture?
1.Polartec Yoga Wrap – Athleta – $89
This yoga wrap has an amazing cut – half fitted and half not – and an amazing color and best of all it’s made of Polartec.
2. Build-Your-Own-Bike – Urban Outfitters – $399
Your eyes are not betraying you – that does in fact say “Build-Your-Own-Bike.” Thanks to Urban Outfitters you can pick a frame and then specialize the colors of everything, creating one very unique – and very YOU – bike.
These gloves come in an array of fun colors, have a cute little ruffle on them, AND they have patches on the fingertips that make it possible to use touch-sensitive items like iPhones while out in the cold.
4. Hunter Original Boots – Zappos – $125
Does outdoor-wear get any cuter than these Hunter Originals in violet?
5. Hunter Welly Socks – Zappos – $30
While I don’t necessarily recommend purchasing the pink Hunter Welly Socks to go with their boot counterpart, these high fleece socks are the perfect way to keep your toes warm through the cold Winter months.
1. Clarisonic Mia Sonic Skin Cleansing System – Clarisonic – $149
Way back in the far off time of 2009 the Clarisonic came in only two colors – pink and white. Now it comes in a rainbow of colors. Of course, the item still does a bang up job of keeping your skin soft.
2. Philosophy Purity Made Simple One-Step Cleansing Clothss – Philosophy – $20
Let’s be honest with one another, shall we? Sometimes it’s just too much work to wash your face before bed. These one-step cleansing cloths make it a little bit easier – a swipe or two over your face and you’re good to go. These would also be perfect for travel, when you just don’t have the space to pack your full-size Purity Made Simple Cleanser.
3. Japanese Matcha Tea w/Acai and Goji Berry Facial Mask – Pangea Organics – $40
This mask will go the extra mile on those days when you’re looking for a little help improving the quality, tone, and texture of your skin.
4. Stila Color Wheel Eye Shadow Palette – Stila – $38
With 37 eye shadow colors and 16 pages worth of tips and tricks, finding a whole new eye look has never been easier!
5. Chai Tea Latte Hand Soap – Peacock Republic – $14
Chai tea latte’s aren’t just for sipping.
1. Alexander Structured Handbag – Handbag Heaven – $33.11
What a perfect all-around bag this would be. Easily dressed up or down this bag can go from day to night, depending on the occasion.
2. Glitter-ally Speaking Black Sequin Dress – LuLu*s – $46
Is there any question this dress is a show-stopper?
3. Plaid Large Tote – Vera Bradley – $120
Nobody would ever guess this fun plaid tote is a Vera Bradley original! The classic colors will get you through the Winter, and many Winters to come.
4. Leather Laurel Headband – Anthropologie – $34
Add a little bit of holiday cheer to any outfit.
5. Pomelo Clutch – Canopy Verde – $85
Who says you can’t wear and carry white during the Winter? Those rules are so passe. This clutch folds out into a longer handbag, should you choose to carry it that way, and if you’re a little weary about the white it comes in a couple of other colors including black and metallic.
6. Curiosities: Vintage-Inspired Adornments for Gifts and Correspondence – Target – $24.99
A kit of fun things for those of us unable to make our packages, letters, and gifts look cute and fun without a little bit of additional help.
1. Custom-made candy bars from Chocomize – prizes vary from $5-$8 per bar
Customize a chocolate bar with your special someone’s favorite toppings and you’re sure to gain major points.
2. 24 Baby Witch Brownies Gift Box from Fat Witch Bakery – $39
I have two words for you: Yum. Yum.
3. 4 pints of ice cream, gelato, or sorbetto designed by you at eCreamery.com – $49.99
While you can not only customize the flavor and toppings of the ice cream, gelato, or sorbetto, you can also customize the name of your concoction!
4. Six months in the Marshmallow of the Month Club from 240Sweet Artisan Mashmallows – $130
These marshmallows are divine. Perfect for spicing up a cup of cocoa, or a perfect little dessert on their own.
5. Twelve piece selection of cake balls from Dallas-based The Cake Ball Company – $29
What originally started as a cupcake obsession for me has turned into a cake ball obsession. If someone’s on your list that’s a lover of cake, they’re going to love these, too!
6. Six decadent cookies from NYC-based Momofuku Milk Bar – $10
Every single item from Milk Bar is amazing, but my personal favorites are the Cornflake Cookie and the Blueberries & Cream cookie. Believe me when I say you can’t go wrong with anything from this NYC hot spot.
1. Giraffe Growth Chart – Land of Nod – $59
With this cute growth chart on hand parents can start tracking the passage of time by the size of their child from the day the little bundle of joy comes home.
2. Netflix Subscription – Netflix – Price varies
If it’s good enough for Oprah, it’s good enough for us.
3. Starbucks Coffee Lovers’ Tour: 3 Months – Starbucks.com – $75
Help the new parents stay awake with copious amounts of delicious coffee from around the world.
4. JBL Onstage Speaker Dock for iPhone/iPod – Target – $149.99
The uses for this speaker dock are numerous: calm the baby, calm mom, calm dad, charge phone, etc.
5. School Years – MomAgenda – $28
This School Years portfolio helps parents keep track of all of the important items from each school year, including pictures, report cards, writing, and artwork samples.
6. Midnight Feeding Basket – Zingerman’s – $125
Parents new and old will appreciate this gift basket of delicious treats from Zingerman’s Deli in Ann Arbor, MI. They’ll receive coffeecake, brownies, Aged Vermont Cheddar, and much, much, more.
7. Mr. Coffee Frappe Maker – Amazon – $62.24
Sometimes you just can’t make it to Starbucks when you’re a new parent, but now there’s no need because you can make icy delicious drinks right from home.
8. Reuseit Snack Bag – Reuseit.com – $6.95
Parents new and old are bound to be carrying around snacks, so get them these reusable snack bags, which can even be thrown in the wash for easy care.
9. Moby Wrap – The Green Nursery – $39.95
This gender-neutrally colored Moby Wrap will keep baby snug as a bug in a rug.
1. Polka-Dot Coasters – Kate Spade – $20
Anybody that loves Kate is bound to love these coasters. The various colors ensure they’ll go with any color scheme.
2. West Bend Ice Tea Maker – Amazon – $34.98
With this machine you can have a fresh batch of ice tea within minutes, making it the perfect gift for people that like to entertain during the Summer.
3. Casserole Carrier – Vonny – $35
No longer do you have to worry about spilling the casserole you spent the entire day making en route to the party. Place your casserole in this gorgeous carrier and you’ll be good to go.
4. Norpro 3980 12-Count Nonstick Mini Donut Pan – Amazon – $9.99
Baked donuts are just as delicious as the original fried version, but they’re a tad bit healthier meaning you can eat more. Right?
5. Barefoot Dreams Throw Blanket – Layla Grayce – $132
This blanket is one of Oprah’s favorite things from a previous year for good reason – it comes in a few colors, it won’t shrink or pill, and it gets softer with every wash.
1. Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera – Amazon – $449.95
For the budding serious photographer this Nikon D3000 can’t be beat in price or value.
2. XBox 360 + Kinect – Amazon – $299.99
I was able to try out the Kinect this past Summer at the BlogHer conference and it was amazing. So. Much. Fun. If you already have an XBox 360 then I recommend trying to find the Kinect on its own, but it seems there’s quite a waiting list. If this is a must-have item this holiday season then you might have better luck buying the XBox 360 + Kinect combo.
3. Limited Edition Red Wii – Target – $199.99
Everything old is new again when you add a little bit of paint. I never seriously considered purchasing a Wii, but now that it’s red I’m having second thoughts.
4. Garmin ForeRunner 110 – Amazon – $199.99
The Garmin ForeRunner is a must for serious runners as it has a GPS that accurately records your distance, time, and pace.
5. iPad with WiFi + 3G – 16GB – Apple – $629.99
I mean, seriously, who doesn’t want an iPad?
6. Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 – Logitech – $79.99
How cool is this item? Solar power keeps this keyboard charged and ready for use – even indoors!
7. Kindle – Amazon- $139
Amazon’s Kindle is one of the few items to make the gift guide two years in a row. Three things have changed since last year, making this item even more covetable than it was before. First, it’s much smaller than last year’s version. Two, it comes with free 3G, meaning you can download new books anywhere in the world. Three, the price has just about been slashed in half.
8. Roku XDS Streaming Player 1080p – Amazon – $99.99
More and more I’m hearing about people forsaking cable and instead streaming all of their TV on the internet. Roku is a neat gadget because you hook it up to your TV and then you can steam all of shows from the internet onto the big screen.