FanFru’s Birthday Favorites: Part II

by Lisa on July 22nd, 2009

When I was younger I used to be a voracious reader. I always had a book in my hand. It’s why I was an English major in college. But as soon as I graduated I pretty much stopped reading. I think my brain was fried from reading stories written by Shakespeare and his contemporaries. Reading had become less fun, and more work.

I’m sad that the number of books I’ve read since graduating has been fairly minimal. But on the other hand, when I read a good book I REALLY love it. So I’m excited to share with you two of the best books I’ve read over the past few years.

The first book is Prep: A Novel, which was written by Curtis Sittenfeld.

Prep is the coming of age story about a girl from Indiana who gets accepted into and attends a prestigious East Coast boarding school. I know some people who have refused to read this book, dismissing it as “chick-lit.” But I personally thought the book was very relatable, and more a novel than true chick-lit. Once I finished reading the book, I couldn’t stop thinking about the characters. The book took me back to high school – in a good way!

You can find Prep at any used bookstore, or Amazon is selling it for $10.98.

The second book is Something Borrowed, by Emily Giffin.

I picked this book up on a whim when I was perusing the endless aisles at Powell’s Books in Portland. I needed something to read on a long plane ride, and I had heard nothing but good things about Emily Giffin’s writing. And how! From the moment I opened the book I couldn’t put it down.

Emily writes about adult female characters and does a great job of making them believable and complex. The characters aren’t always likable, but then again, few people are. Something Borrowed made me laugh, it made me grimace, and it made me sad. It was thoroughly entertaining. (BTW, Something Borrowed is the first part in a two-part series. Something Bluefinishes the story.)

You can find these books anywhere at this point, although Something Borrowed is now being sold as a mass paperbook. Read=Super Cheap.

Have any of you read these books? What do you think?

10 Responses

1. Mrs. McB says:

I have always wanted to read Prep. However, I did read Something Borrowed and it is one of my favorite books. I could not put it down.

2. JAMIE HIRYAK says:

I've read Something Borrowed, and LOVED it. There's a second book after that called Something Blue that is just as good! :)

3. Simply Me says:

so funny two of my favorite books- we have good taste! :)

4. Fun and Fearless in Boston says:

I've read both of these books and LOVED both!

5. AB says:

Actually wasn't crazy about Prep but have heard good things about her other books. Just discovered Emily Griffin (Love the One You're with) and LOVED IT!! Quick, easy read. Can't wait to try Something Borrowed.

6. Christina says:

I've read all of Emily Giffin's books and I loooove them. I can't wait for her new one to come out.

7. Kayla says:

Something Borrowed is a book I also picked up on a whim. My roomate suggested it before I left for vacaion and with-in 2 days I had read not only Something Borrowed but it's counter part, Something Blue. I've heard that they are making these books into a movie, so lets keep our fingers crossed and our ears to the wind!!

8. cutewosie says:

I have read both of those books and enjoyed them. I read the whole Something Borrowed series and felt like it was a quick fun read. Enjoy!!

9. SARAHNICOLE says:

I love Emily Giffin and her writing style. I've read "Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue." They are both wonderful books. I am reading "Baby Proof" now.

10. Katy says:

I read Prep during my freshman year and I absolutely adored it. I couldn't put it down.

I've had Something Borrowed for months and I have yet to start it. But I've been meaning to! Maybe after graduation next week I will have some time.